In the past several months, I have found myself in new territory. I guess it started when I applied to become one of the managers of a basketball tournament that my sports business club puts on. I have been involved in this project for two years now, but only as a volunteer. When the time came to find new members to help run the event, it did come to mind to just volunteer again and not step up. But something inside me said "no."
So this time, I stepped up. I was appointed one of the manager spots, for operations. For most of my life I have been used to the one being behind the scenes, making things happen. So I did take advantage of that strength and got this position. I will be the one to coordinate volunteers, to make sure our event runs smooth. This was my first step into new territory.
My second step came from a business class I just finished taking last term, a class that every business student must take. The class focuses around business communication and leadership, using a group project as the primary application of its lessons. The sections of this class in the term were special in fact. Our projects had to address how to use $800,000 of over-realized funds that student government had. Although our grades did not depend on whether the appointed representative from the student government approved our project or not, it still could have gotten support and given to the appropriate committees and senate for approval.
My group's project dealt with sustainability, specifically water conservation. Now, I won't go in detail about our project and give you the full spiel. But let's just say the teacher loved it and the student government representative loved it. To get that point, however, I had to stand in front of the class and give part of the presentation. I hate that. That is why I prefer to work behind the scenes as I said earlier. So I pulled myself together, focused, and with the others in my group doing the same, gave a great speech. To get such high remarks was a surprise to me.
Then we learned that our project was one of the 35 "semi-finalists", if you will, that got sponsored by a member of the appropriations committee. Again I was surprised because I was the only one in our group that got in front of the committee, after the class, and gave another quick pitch about our idea. Now, the term was over, and our group did not have to work together anymore. But I felt we should still advocate for our proposal, and they seemed to agree. There was going to be a town hall meeting to talk about these 35 proposals, and choose which ones to bring before the senate. But then I read in the student newspaper that our proposal did not make it into either of the two suggested packages, one of which could have been chosen to take to the senate.
At first I was disappointed, but I still wanted to go to this meeting and try to find out why. Turns out I was alone in this one. None of my group members showed up, and neither did our official partners in the project. So I crossed that boundary again and took that step into new territory. Never before had I made such a impromptu speech that carried such importance. I was a little nervous, and tried the best I could. There is still a chance for a proposal to make it to the senate vote. I am glad I took that step.
And now I find myself here, taking another step. I decided to start this blog after reading an article in the Wall Street Journal recently that said blogs are starting to help professional get new career opportunities. I have also received multiple times, the advice to differentiate myself from all the others out there looking for a job, or trying to get ahead. Now I am still in school, and will be for a few more years. I am not using this blog to sell myself, or to get a job. I simply felt this was the best way to differentiate myself. In future posts I hope to write about not only my life in school, but also business, sports, technology, and any combination of the four that interests me - essentially my life. I am in new territory here. I could turn around and go back, but I think I am going to press on.
No comments:
Post a Comment