Friday, October 26, 2007

Catching Up - Part 1

Wow, I have been so busy this first month in Germany, I have forgotten to write about my experiences. But I guess I will get right to it: the following posts will be able for various weeks here in Germany and my trips around Europe.

So I guess I should start with the opening weekend. I stayed in hostel the first two nights and met up with a few of the others from the group. On the first official night, we met up and had dinner with our site director, Hartwig Pruessman and ate dinner together. Their are eight of us in all: Brooks, Eric, Dan, Sharif, Ian, Kellen, Trysta and myself. It's a small group, but we get along well.

We met up that next morning, where Hartwig took us on a short tour of the main parts of the city, including the Rhein River, Old City, and most famously the Cologne Dom. We then departed and were taken to our respective host families. I am staying with the Lansch-Knoerr's. They are a wonderful family, with two sons about my age. The parents are very nice, but don't speak any English, which is good for me (more practice of my German).

On Sunday, we met up again with our unofficial social director, Maxi, and went on a bike tour of the city with her as our guide. A bike tour is a great way to see any city and Maxi was a wonderful guide. Half way through we stopped at Media Park and went to the restaurant about 2/3 way up of Media Tower. There we enjoyed coffee and cake on a wonderful, sunny Sunday afternoon.

Monday was the start of school finally and it was intensive German all week. But we also were able to make it out to Frankfurt and Munich - about those in Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment